In the beautiful Central Park

Friday, December 25, 2009

Can You Say Culture Shock ???

Well, here I am. I made it to New York safe and sound. It is very weird to think that I am actually here. My first area is in the Bronx. My trainer is Sis. Walker and she has been here for about 6 months. We live with two other sisters. One is English speaking and the other is madrine speaking. Our planes were pretty delayed yesterday. Our plane flew to Chicago first, we stayed on the plane and then came to New York. There we met the Mission President, his wife and the AP's. They took us to the mission home and we had dinner. This transfer was really weird because they did transfers last week so we didn't have a transfer meeting. That night they drove us right to our areas. I'm not going to lie, I am having a hard time. I didn't sleep at all last night, not even for a second so I am pretty out of it today. It's p-day so it's been kind of a weird day anyway. It is very cold and as we walk down the street no one will even look you in the eyes. It's pretty weird. The city is just so different than anything I've ever lived in. I'm going to have to buy some ear plugs because it is SO noisy outside our apartment. On Friday (Christmas) we have a big mission meeting which should be pretty cool. I think I am just a little bit of shock still. I look around and think, "wow, 16 months of this." I know it will be wonderful but today is just odd. I almost wish my first day was a normal one so that we can just get to work and I can stop thinking about myself. I haven't even had time to think about the stress of not knowing Spanish... goody. I was able to give a Book of Mormon away on the plane and that was pretty cool. They lady I sat next to was really nice and a real new yorker. She gave me the insides and outs of it all and as we got off the plane she gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek. That was weird from going from having no human contact at all at the MTC to this, but it was fun. I miss you all and look forward to hearing from you. I didn't have any new e-mails, I'm guessing it's because I just checked my e-mail a couple days ago. My address here is:
1414 White Plains Road 1st Floor
Bronx, NY
10462
Please write me but send packages to the mission home still. Well, I love you all! Please keep me in your prayers and pray for the people in New York, I think they need it!

4 comments:

Bowles Family said...

I'm not buying that she is a true New Yorker, if she gave you a hug and kiss on the cheek! :) Too funny. Although, I did almost kiss the garbage man this week!

I'm sure you will get used to the noise at night. When we first moved into this house in Chico, I could not sleep because the crickets were SO LOUD! Ear plugs sound like a good way to ease into though.

Alysa Hart said...

Hey Melissa! It's fun to read your blog. I hope things have gotten better since your last post. Just sounds like you're adjusting to new people, new place and doing new things-which can be strange, unsettling and..well, like you said, odd. It'll get better. The people in New York are SO lucky to have you. I know that you'll make a difference in their lives just by being the fun, bright, happy person you are. And the Spanish will come. My friend STRUGGLED with Spanish almost his entire mission but he stuck with it as was blessed immeasurably for his obedience and faith and you will too! Whatever your experience is with Spanish (and your entire mission) I know you'll be great! I pray for you and am so thankful for your service! If there is anything you need let us know..or let your family know and have them tell us. I love making care packages...so holler, for real! (wendy, kindra...make sure she's not shy about this-I'd love to help in anyway!)
With Love,
Alysa Hart

Megs said...

Hey miss! Luke said that he had a similar situation with having his senior companion only being out for about six months! But, he said that it will help you to be forced to use Spanish, which will help you in the long run! I love you and I am keeping you in my prayers! I'm working on a funny letter for you! I'm going to send you a cassette tape with something you will think is hilarious!!! Good luck!

Rhandi said...

Wonderful Sister Passantino!
I am writing you a letter via your blog because it is the easiest for me right now- we are in Carlsbad at my in-laws and I haven't had much extra time but I have been thinking about you a ton and wanting to write you since we have been here

Wow! What a way to enter the mission field- smack! I am really proud of you for having a good attitude. Just like Sister Dalton said, you don't stop running in the middle of a steep hill- the reward waiting for you on top is SO worth the fight! You are fighting and you are doing great. I am sure that you are adjusting more and more every day. Keep the faith and Heavenly Father will bless you in ways that you haven't even thought of at this time.

Isn't amazing to know that you are literally EXACTLY where our Father in Heaven wants you right now. He called you to be JUST where you are with a special and specific mission for you. It gives me goose bumps to think about the sacredness and specialness of a mission call!

I am so pleased to know that you have a great trainer with some experience under her belt- that will help a ton! So you need to get some ear plugs you say? I am not surprised- you are going to have a fun 14 months my cuz! All of that noise and lack of sleep will help you prepare for motherhood :) Noise and lack of sleep are two of my closest companions- I have learned (am learning) to love and appreciate them both. I have found that when I am sleep deprived I am so much more raw and I have to work harder to be patient and Christlike- it's definitley a refiners fire for me and although sometimes hard- I have learned so much about myself and where I can improve. I am sure you will be experiencing something similar and it really is such a blessing to be required to be unselifish. I look at is as a way Heavanly Father gives us a gift- an extra push to help us return to him the best that we can be. Well, enough of the gooshy stuff- you rock and I KNOW that you are going to rock the mission field.

I have been LOVING LIFE in sunny, warm Carlsbad! It's been so nice to spend time with Graham and the kiddos and my fab in-laws. As you know Graham was gone so much with school, so we are getting spoiled with him being around and I am loving every minute of it.

We stopped and visited my Mom and Jack on the way down and she was doing WONDERFUL! I couldn't believe how great she was doing, so that is a huge blessing and hopefully she will continue to heal physically and mentally.

The kiddos are great! Cayman is still obsessed with DINOS and Hudson started walking a week or two ago.

I love you, miss you, I think about you often and will start praying for you more! Thank you for your letters! I love reading them on your blog!

Keep it up Melissa! Keep the faith!

-xoxo (it's still legal b/c it's just hugs and kisses through mail)

-Rhandi