In the beautiful Central Park

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I guess "Bronx" really is my middle name

Here I am again, emailing from the Bronx! Who knew I would have lived in the Bronx for half my mission! This cycle is a shorter one, only 4 weeks, but it will be one where I can work harder and try to leave this area better than I found it. I still can't believe I'm still here. I was anticipating change but since the missionaries aren't changing then the way I work must be the need for the change. I am excited about this next cycle.

We have Ozzy's baptism this Saturday which we are excited for! He is such a miracle baptism and I am just happy for him to be able to make that covenant with the Lord. He is excited to be baptized and receive the priesthood. He talks about how he can't wait to come teach with us and help other people. He is solid and we are so happy for him.

This last week has been a good one and we have been able to find some new people to teach. Jose, the Dominican guy I had to teach by myself in Spanish, came to church. We weren't expecting it at all and we can see their whole family accepting the gospel. The Lord really does have people in this area that are prepared to hear his gospel.

I have been able to have some really good personal spiritual experiences lately that have helped my testimony grow even more. One of which was my understanding of hope. I was asked to give a training on Hope in our district meeting and was kind of stressed about it because hope has always been something that I had a hard time understanding. I read a scripture in Romans that talked about how hope comes from experience. I didn't understand that, so I did some pondering. I was thinking about my freshman year of college, when I had a very difficult time with depression and anxiety. That was the hardest time in my life and I didn't think I would make it through. But I did and I was fine. I learned so many lessons from that experience, too many to number but I realized the biggest lesson I learned was hope. When those same feelings came again right when I came to NY, I didn't think I could make it through. I thought I would have to fail at it because of the way I felt. I felt as if I was a failure. My parents both reminded me that I made it through the first time, I can do it again. Because of that, I stayed, I made it through, and I am doing wonderful. Heavenly Father knew that the first experience I had with depression gave me hope, so that I could make it through the second time. If I hadn't have had that hope that it would go away, I wouldn't be able to be here today. How grateful I am for my trials and for the lessons Heavenly Father has given me to teach me more about hope. I would pray that all of you would study hope and how you have gained more hope in your lives.

Well, I love you all. I hope you have a wonderful week! Stay strong!

Con Amor- Hermana Passantino

2 comments:

Megs said...

Sounds like you're doing great! I miss you Missy!

<3 You

Kaitlyn Wadsworth said...

I was her roomie last transfer and got home about a month ago.. this girl is amazing!!!