In the beautiful Central Park

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

So I guess granola bars don't count as food...

Hello to all! I hope everyone is doing well! I guess I will explain my subject line. Yesterday we went to the hospital to visit someone who had just had a baby. As we were walking out of the hospital there was a man asking for money and saying that he was really hungry. As missionaries we are counseled not to give money to people but I had a granola bar in my back pack so I thought to myself, "Well, hey, if he is hungry this would help him out." and let me tell you, it was a good one too, one of those fruit and nut ones. So I turn around and said, "I don't have any money but here is this granola bar." He glared at me and then started cussing me out telling me I was cheap and that a granola bar isn't food. That if I really wanted to help him I would buy him McDonald's, and he just went on and on and on. He was yelling at me for like 10 minutes because we had to stand near him while we waited for the bus. He finally left and walked by and I just smiled at him, I guess not the best idea, because then he just started up again. People here are SO interesting. I mean, if I was hungry I would be more than happy to eat a granola bar... I guess he wasn't that hungry. We were laughing about it last night forever. Sister Child told me a story of when she was in Harlem and this guy got mad at her for not giving her money so he spit on her and then picked his nose and flicked a booger at her! HA HA! As my dad and mom would say, "Some people's kids...." Here you find the most interesting people but also the most amazing!

A man named Luis is been coming to English class for a while. We invited him to come to church last Thursday and he came! It was so exciting. He even stayed for all three hours which is hard to do! In the gospel principles class he shared about how he is wanting to change his life around and since he has been going to English class he has been blessed. We haven't even taught him anything yet. We use the Book of Mormon to practice reading in English and just from his reading of the Book of Mormon he has been feeling the spirit. That book is amazing! He is so cool and we are excited to start teaching him!

Ozzie was baptized on Saturday! Leave it to me to find the first Cuban to baptize into this ward. Ha ha. He is great and excited to be a member and start helping out the missionaries. He is so funny and his baptism was great. As we were filling up the font we left it running for too long and over flowed the tank. I had the opportunity to do a little "swimming" in the font to unplug it to let some water out... It was pretty funny and an adventure for sure.

The weather here is just crazy. Friday night there was a HUGE thunder and lighting storm and luckily I have the coolest companion in the world so with both or our spontaneous attitudes, we ran around in the rain and have pictures to prove it. It was fun. After a long day of missionary work, it is just the thing to make you relax after planning for the next day. I love it here. I love being a missionary. I love seeing people put their trust in the Lord and see miracles in their lives.

Thanks for all the love and support from you all! I love you all so much! Have a wonderful week!

Con Amor- Hermana Passantino

PS: Next week P-day will be on a Thursday. We have all these big changes coming to ALL the missions and there is a 3 day meeting for it. I won't be at the meeting but they changed P-day so that the meeting can go on Wednesday too. So look for my email on Thursday! Loves!

1 comment:

Megs said...

That is a funny story Missy! Luke has crazy stories about the hobos in NY too. To this day Luke offers hobos to buy then food instead of giving then money. You wouldn't believe how PICKY they are about what they want to eat! It's like c'mon! Seriously?!? It's free food for you!

I'm so glad things are going well :)

<3 Megs