In the beautiful Central Park

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I Heart New York!

Hello to all!
I hope everyone is doing fantastic. Don't worry I survived the "hurricane" last week. Ha ha ha! Everyone was freaking out thinking we were going to be hit, but not to worry, I think it rained like two drops... but I kept my umbrella around just in case! It has been a very good week for Sis. McMillian and I. Can I just say that I love working with her!

Last week for P-day Sis. McMillian and I went to the New York Botanical Gardens! It was SO beautiful! I was in heaven with all the trees and stuff. I never realized how much I missed nature but man, when you live in a giant city, you really start to miss that stuff. I loved every part of it and I hope to go back again because we didn't get to see everything. I felt like I wasn't even in NY anymore. It was a wonderful change to the big city craziness we deal with every day.

We have been working hard trying to find new investigators. We do a lot of tracting still and we are doing a lot of look ups. Our area is so small but we have A LOT of former investigators which is good because we are trying to look all of them up. Our area is about 5 blocks by 10 blocks! Super small. If you look at a map of Manhattan and you find the street Dyckman (200th street) from that street to the top of Manhattan is our area. It is called Inwood which is part of Washington Heights in Manhattan. As most know, Manhattan is kind of broken up into smaller parts like, Washington Heights, Harlem, etc. So everyone living in the Washington Heights area goes to our ward.

Our ward is great and I really like the Bishop too! He is a teacher in the Bronx and he is so friendly and willing to help out. I can't even begin to explain how wonderful it is when the Bishop is willing to help so much with missionary work, everything goes smoother. He is very aware of the different people that have been baptized and what they need, it is great!

So here is a funny story. On Friday a member took all of us missionaries in the Washington Heights area out to dinner. As we were on the bus on the way to eat and there was this rather LARGE man sitting next to me. I was kind of just looking around the bus and all of the sudden he raises his hand and starts petting Elder Berry's head. Elder Berry turned around with a look on his face saying, "who in the world is touching me" Then this man continues and says, "Wow man, you have really soft hair, I like you Jehovah Witnesses" Ha ha ha, we were all trying to hold in our laughter! If you knew Elder Berry it would be that much funnier. I just love that random things like that happen here, they always make us smile. Luckily I contacted the guy and he's meeting with the missionaries. Ha ha!

We had a great training by Sis. McMillian at district meeting this last Monday that I loved. She talked about adapting our lives to the Saviors teachings. It was wonderful and really motivated me to do better. She gave us this quote that I really liked by Harlod B. Lee.
"This is your day and the only day that you have to be concerned about. Yesterday is gone, there is nothing you can do about yesterday except repent. There may be no tomorrow." Sometimes we worry too much about things that are out of our control, now is the time to deal with the now and we will be ok! I loved her training!

All in all things are going wonderful! I love the work! Nothing makes me happier. I hope all is well with everyone and that everyone had a safe Labor day! Love you!

Con Amor- Hermana Passantino

No comments: